- Climate and development communications
- Integrated multimedia campaigns
- Creative production
- Content marketing
- MSc, International development - SOAS, University of London (In progress)
- BA (Hons), History with an International Year in Europe (France) - Royal Holloway, University of London
- Histoire de l'art et Histoire - Université de Tours (ERASMUS)
- Member - Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Film school in a week, London College of Communication
- Graphic design, Central St Martins
- Reportage photography, Central St Martins
Mariella de Souza-Baker
In a nutshell, tell us about yourself.
I grew up just outside of London and had initially envisioned becoming a lawyer. I eventually learned that much could be done before communications broke down by learning more about how people communicate and what drives them. Working in Communications for the last decade has allowed me to develop ways to empathise with various groups and speak their language. Using it to face the greatest existential threat to our world is where I am motivated to channel my personal efforts.
What’s the best part of your job?
Our team. I love the uniqueness, passion and diversity of our people, how we all get on across our cultures, I greatly value what we’re all building together and ultimately seeing the impact of our collective work.
What keeps you awake at night?
The cacophony of city living! Deciding on what constitutes that final edit; how to universally acknowledge and end colonial legacies – a Loss and Damage fund is a really interesting development; and reflecting on how to transform narratives around climate change ‘from a discourse on greenhouse gases and melting ice caps into a civil rights movement’.
What do you most admire?
Oppressed groups fighting back, female leaders, living thoughtfully and consciously in a world that rewards speed and limitless growth, and indigenous peoples maintaining their traditions and harmony with the world.
What makes you laugh?
Blackadder, forever and ever!
When are you happiest?
When I’m anywhere with my amazing little family, backpacking, encountering new cultures, the SOAS library!! and listening to personal tales and experiences.